Interview Mistakes to Avoid
You’ve landed an interview at your dream company, now what? You’re nervous, excited, anxious – all these emotions spinning around in your stomach. Don’t let your nerves get the best of you and cause you to make common and avoidable interview mistakes.
If prepared, you can relax and focus on the important aspects of the message you want to send your interviewer, and leave a lasting impression that can set you apart from other candidates. The list below identifies common mistakes everyone must avoid in interviewing.
- DON’T SHOW UP LATE. There is no easier way to lose points with a prospective employer than to show up late. First impressions do last.
- DON’T ACT DISINTERESTED. No matter what the circumstance never act disinterested during an interview.
- DON’T BE UNPREPARED. Being prepared has many facets. Interviewers expect you to know something about the company and the position you are seeking. Having this knowledge makes you appear both motivated and truly interested. So make sure you do your research!
- DON’T FORGET YOUR MANNERS. No matter how old fashioned it appears to use word like “please”, “sir”, “ma’am”and “thank you”, do not delete these words from your vocabulary.
- DON’T DRESS INAPPROPRIATELY. Whether you like it or not, the job interview is not the time to express your individuality.
- DON’T BE UNTRUTHFUL. Never, ever lie during an interview. Mistruths have an uncanny habit of catching up to people.
- DON’T BE MODEST. When searching for the right job, put your modesty aside. Don’t be afraid to confidently describe your skills and accomplishments.
- DON’T FORGET THE “THANK YOU”. Once the interview has concluded, take a few moments to jot down your impressions of the interviewer, what you talked about and any interesting points that were brought up during the meeting.
Download pdf: Whitaker Companies.Interview Mistakes to Avoid