February 13th, 2019 by Cassie Fisher
How heart healthy is your work environment? According to the American Heart Association, heart disease and stroke are the No. 1 and 2 killers worldwide. Did you know that “company culture can play a huge factor in heart health…” (A. Kohll, Forbes.com)?
So, in honor of Valentine’s Day, here are seven tips on how employers can incorporate heart-healthy initiatives for employees:
- Smoke-free – some companies are 100% smoke-free environment, while others encourage employees to attend smoking cessation classes.
- Healthy diet – offer healthy snacks in the vending machines, or order healthy lunches for meetings.
- Regular exercise – standing desks or walking groups during lunch breaks are a great option!
- Limit alcohol consumption – limit happy hour drinks or open bar at company functions.
- Weight management – encourage heart healthy diet and regular exercise, some companies have “steps” competitions amongst employees.
- Health screenings – offer onsite screenings for employees.
- Less stress – although average levels of stress are normal for any job, high level of workplace stress could lead to increased risk of heart disease. Some companies combat stress with offering flexible work schedules.
We at Whitaker wish you a heart healthy Valentine’s Day and encourage you to continue living a healthy lifestyle year-round! Additional resources can be found on the American Heart Association’s website under “Workplace Health”.
Workplace Health : Continuous Quality Improvement For Employee Health
American Heart Association
Building a healthy workplace and encouraging a healthy workforce can create a self-reinforcing environment that can lead to increased productivity, less absenteeism, and health-spend savings for employees and employers.
How To Help Your Employees Get Heart Healthy
Cardiovascular disease is your employees’ biggest health threat. Early prevention is the best way to avoid heart problems later on in life, which is why it is so important to help your employees get heart healthy now.
5 Heart Healthy Habits At Work
Community Health Charities
February is American Heart Month. Nearly 85.6 million Americans are living with some form of cardiovascular disease or the after-effects of stroke. Chances are, your coworkers are living with a heart condition or know someone who is. This February, start some heart-healthy habits in your workplace:
Comments are closed.